(8 to 10 serves, stores in the fridge for up to 6 days or in the freezer for 3 months)
1 whole Chicken (size 12-14)
2 ½ Ltrs water
4 Bay leaves
4 Cardamon pods
2 Star Anise
1 Onion (peeled and chopped roughly)
1 Lge Carrot (chopped roughly)
1 Stk Celery
1 Stk Lemongrass
50 gm Ginger
4 cloves Garlic
1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Tbl Coconut oil
500ml Coconut cream or milk
1 bunch of Asian Vegetable like Pak choy (washed and chopped)
400 gm fresh pineapple pieces (or 50 gm per person)
Salt and pepper to taste
Spring onion or fresh coriander (for garnish)
- In a large pot, place chicken, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, cardamom pods, Star Anise, roughly chopped onion, carrot, celery and top half of lemon grass stalk (reserve white part for later). Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Strain the rest of the stock through a sieve and set aside.
- When chicken has cooled, pull apart and pick meat off the bones in shreds.
- Grate ginger, garlic and lemon grass, preferably with a micro-plane and saute with additional finely chopped onion in the coconut oil.
- Add chicken stock and coconut milk and heat slowly. Do not bring to the boil as coconut milk may split or curdle. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- In serving bowls, place chicken shreds, pineapple and pak choy and ladle hot broth over ingredients.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.